Como is No Mo
Unoccupied Ghost Town
Como was founded after gold discoveries in the Pine Nut Mountains resulted in a rush for the Palmyra Mining District in 1860. Among those headed to the mountains were merchants and the U.S. Postal Service who set up shop immediately below the location of the Como site under the name of Palmyra. As arrivals continued pouring in to the mountains a new town site was plated. The post office was moved, a mill was constructed and hotels and shops soon followed. Como suffered two periods of decline before her life fizzled out completely in 1905. And for 25 years she remained quiet; that is until a huge mill operation “The Boyle - Logan” was constructed. Once again the mountains came alive with activity. But the mill and the revival did not last long. As the operators soon discovered there was no ore to mill, forcing them to abandon their efforts.
|Copyright 2006 High Desert Drifters, All rights reserved.|