Previously Virginia Marsh
Unoccupied Ghost Town
First known as Virginia Marsh, a settlement sprouted here following the arrival of a salt mining outfit, Nevada Salt & Borax Co. and was provided the new name of Rhodes after A.J. Rhodes. The Carson & Colorado Railroad arrived in 1880 to provide transportation for the salt being extracted from the dry lake bed. Before the railroads arrival, packs of camels were utilized to transport the salt to Virginia City. Rhodes housed a post office from 1893 up until 1911, when the town began to dwindle. Today nothing remains but a Head frame.
|Copyright 2006 High Desert Drifters, All rights reserved.|